Over the years, I have probably influenced the decision making process of most of my close friends and family in purchasing at least one of their bags if not more - they know to come to me 🙂
Out of all the accessories, we use on a daily basis, I believe our handbags are most prominent and define our style at a glance then come the other accessories like sunglasses, watches, shoes and belts.
I'm not much of a shopper on a whim for a bag, I do tend to put a lot of thought and effort into what is going to be toted around for a while.So without further adieu, I'm going to share how I approach looking for a new handbag!
1. By ColorIt really helps to know beforehand what color handbag you are looking for. If you don't know, then look at what you already own and think about getting something different. If you prefer to stick with neutral colors and have been carrying a black bag then buy a brown or a grey bag. If you like bright colors, pick a different color from what you have been carrying.
2. By StyleOnce you know what color you want, you need to decide what style you are most comfortable with. Here are a list of questions to ask yourself to help pick a style:
- Do I prefer to carry my purse on my shoulder, in my hands or across my body?
- Do I want a statement bag or is that not a priority?
- Do I want leather, exotic skin, or a different texture bag?
- Do I prefer structured or slouchy bags?
- Do I want a large or small bag?
- Do I want a bag with multiple pockets for easy compartmentalizing?
Shoulder bags - Any bag that can be carried on the shoulder by a strap or handles.
Totes - One of the staples of any woman’s wardrobe. The tote bag has a large open top with two straps or handles, very popular for the beach and casual wear. Tote bags can be colorful, in all manner of fabrics or classic leather for business or more versatile everday wear.
|Diane Von Furstenberg|
Satchels - A hard framed, handheld handbag reminiscent of a school satchel, some have a shoulder strap.
3. By PriceAlways have a budget in mind while bag shopping otherwise you'll never make a decision. It will also help you narrow which brands or designers you should be looking at.
4. By BrandSome people prefer to start by picking the brand first as they are loyal to a particular designer or brand but I like to know the other parameters first and then see who has the best bag that meets all my requirements. There are certain designers that are known for a particular style, which is called a signature bag.
Here are a few signature bags that are noteworthy-
The Hermes Birkin bag is named after the iconic actress Jane Birkin. The Birkin is the symbol of ultimate luxury, due in part to it’s exposure of popular television shows as Sex and the City. An authentic Birkin costs upwards of $16,000 and can have a waiting time of up to two years.
The Chanel flap bag has been a classic for years and years. Here we see it in quilted grey lambskin. Often called the 2.55 purse as there are two flaps, the flap bag is available in lambskin or caviar leather in a variety of colors. Since Chanel decided to make fewer pieces of this classic design, often you have to put your name on a waitlist to buy it.
Louis Vuitton Speedy Bag
This luxurious bag features monogrammed canvas with goldtone hardware. Its roomy style and classic shape make it a top choice in bags. This iconic handbag is the perfect option if you are looking for a classic everyday bag. Prices start at $800 making it quite affordable!
Chloe Paddington Bag
This was created by designer Phoebe Philo in 2005. It may be considered the quintessential “Boho-Chic” bag due to it’s famous owner’s such as Kate Moss and Sienna Miller, who are known for their bohemian style. A leather Paddington usually costs around $1,500.
This bag was first coveted in the late 1990s. Named after the French baguette because of its slimline shape, with its ability to be carried under the arm, like the French lovingly transport their baguettes.The popularity of the bag saw the Fendi group releasing 10th anniversary versions in 2007 with 10 new colors and a blank white canvas all purpose version which was accompanied with 10 Pantone color marker pens to allow women to truly personalize their own Baguette bag.