- Peel the onion and slice it rather thin. Put the onions into a bowl with the balsamic vinegar, wrap in saran wrap and keep aside.
- Chop the watermelon into large pieces and remove the seeds. Arrange in a bowl.
- Cut the feta into pieces and add the olives which have been sliced.
- Wash the mint and scatter over the salad, generously. Wrap in saran wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- Take it out of the refrigerator 5 minutes before serving. Add the onion and a splash of balsamic and pour the olive oil on top.
- Serve immediately.
Guest Post: The Great Cookaroo
This is a super simple salad to put together and is perfect for warm summer nights.
It's a salad of interesting contrasts that come together beautifully - the onions give it a lovely crunch, the mint a freshness and the feta a sort of a salty contrast to the sweet watermelon.
Nigella uses lime juice, but my cousin, The Great Cookaroo, prefers to use balsamic vinegar - whichever recipe you follow, this will be a great salad.
Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Nigella Bites.
1 small red onion
1 small ripe watermelon
100 gms feta cheese
Bunch fresh mint, removed from stalk
3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
100g pitted black olives
3-4 tblsp balsamic vinegar