Being tall has its advantages - one of them being you always have the best view of the rest of the world!
But shopping for a tall woman can sometimes be difficult as not too many stores carry a "tall" size and if you try wearing regular sizes, the fit may/may not be the best - shirts can be shorter, the cut of the pants may not be flattering, the sleeves of a blouse may be shorter etc etc.
I recently helped a client who was 6'2" tall with size 12 feet with a complete wardrobe re-haul. While I had tons of fun helping re-vamp her wardrobe, I also learned some valuable lessons along the way that I would love to share in case you are a taller woman.
BEST PLACES TO SHOP FOR TALL WOMEN
Unlike men, who have the option to shop at a Big & Tall store, tall women need to know what are the best stores to shop for them. Also, for the most part, most of your shopping will be done online as most stores don't carry tall sizes.
1. J.Crew - especially for pants and jeans
2. Banana Republic - has a special "Tall" shop for tall women
3. GAP - has a "Tall" shop for clothes
4. Victoria's Secret - has a "Tall" shop for clothes
5. Nordstroms.com - Lots of choices for dresses, tops, skirts and accessories
6. Anthropologie - great for tops, skirts, cardigans, jackets and outerwear
7. Zappos - for shoes and jeans
8. Barefoot Tess - Fabulous find. Great variety of fashionable shoes at awesome prices
SHOPPING TIPS FOR TALL WOMEN
|Barefoot Tess Website
1. If the fit isn't perfect, skip it. Tall women definitely have many more fitting errors than others. If a tailor visit can’t make it perfect, best not to buy it.
2. Avoid cute. Frills, ruffles, and anything that could be described as puffy or girlish are not ideal for tall women. Tall women can do elegant, sexy, well-dressed, and jaw-droppingly hot. Not girlish.
3. Do a “Waist Check.” All outfits should clearly define where your waist falls. Without definition, tall abdomens can look like a wall of body. This means buying t-shirts, blouses, jackets and dresses that come in at your waist; even loose dresses and tops should give a sense of your natural curves. This is the number one mistake of tall women everywhere.
4. Stick to smaller patterns. Tall women often look best in solid, darker colors and smaller patterns. If you wear a large, bright colored pattern, it will call attention to your tall frame.
5. If you don’t feel amazing in it, don’t buy it. Despite what anyone tells you, if you don't feel amazing in something, don't buy it.
BEST STYLES FOR TALL WOMEN
1. Pants: Higher waisted styles make a long torso look more in proportion. I like the following two styles available at J.Crew.
2. Jeans: Look for jeans with a 36 inch inseam. Skinny, straight, and baby bootcut are all great styles for tall women. Not all stores or brands make them but here are some that I found that were awesome -
3. Skirts: Skirts can be tricky to find but I found that Pencil skirts seem to look best on tall women. Find a longer pencil skirt so it fits proportionately for you.
|Anthropologie Lace Skirt, $88
4. Dresses: Sheaths, Shirt dresses, Wrap Dresses and Cargo Dresses are all great style dresses for taller women.
|Hugo Skirt @ Stylebop, $240
5. Accessories: Delicate necklaces, stud earrings, rings, stacked bracelets are all great accessories.
6. Bag: size of bag needs to be proportionate to your height. I really like some of the extra large envelope clutches available.
|Wrap Dress, Shirt Dress, Cargo Dress
7. Shoes: Flats, Gladiator Sandals, low heeled shoes, ankle boots are great. Knee high boots are a bit more challenging to find.
|Clutch available as ASOS, $37.41